Time Trial Trail Running weekend at Muratie
Launched in 2015, the Dirtopia’s MidYear Trail Run has become an institution on the Muratie Wine Estate calendar. Celebrating the winter solstice, the event was designed to shrug off the winter chills and get outside in anticipation of longer days ahead.
Of course Covid happened, cancelling the 2020 edition and with recent lockdown restrictions the traditional event format cannot take place.
For the upcoming weekend (26 and 27 June) the following offering has been put in place:
1) There will be no mass starts. Runners can start any time from 08h00 and 12H00
2) Runners will self-time using Trailtag and results will be live in realtime on trailtag.co.za
3) If you want to be timed you need to either rent or own a Trailtag.
4) A long and short route option will be marked out each day, with separated start and finish location at the Dirtopia Trail Centre.
5) Saturday’s routes are 7km and 11,5km and Sunday’s routes are 8,5km and 15,5km. Sunday’s routes includes some newly built trail not included in events before.
6) The Trail Centre will act as general “registration” and is open all morning for tag sales and rentals
7) On completion of your route, you’ll receive a medal.
8) The prizegiving will be virtual and lucky draws will occur ad hoc from the finish line.
Beginners that want a taste of the sport will enjoy the short routes and fitter and more experienced trail runners will love the new trails! There will still be refreshment station on the routes and one split between distances per day.
A few lucky finishers will receive hampers of Sportsman’s Warehouse vouchers, Muratie wine or FALKE socks.
A coffee station with muffins available next to the start/finish at the Trail Centre, but if you like a sit-down meal, please call Muratie Farm Kitchen on 0218652330 to book a table. Breakfast from 9am until 10h45 and lunch from 12h00. Snacks available in the Trail Centre and shower facilities next door to the Trail Centre.
Enter online by Thursday evening at www.dirtpass.co.za with under 18’s paying only R60 for a pre-entry. Adult prices from R150 to R220. Late entries R30 extra on the day.
Have you stayed fit for the first six months of the year? Well, keep on going or start all over! Muratie is the base for some of the most beautiful trail systems in the Western Cape as part of the Simonsberg Conservancy.
DATE: Saturday & Sunday, 26 & 27 June 2021
VENUE: Muratie Wine Farm, on R44 about 8 km from Stellenbosch
REGISTRATION: From 07h30 until 11h30 (come at any time) at Dirtopia Trail Centre, Muratie
DISTANCES Saturday: 7km & 11.5km
Sunday: 8.5km and 15.5km
START TIMES: ANY TIME FROM 8AM until 12PM
Pre-entries (until Thursday 24 June)
7km – R150 and 12km – R180
Kids under the age of 18 pay only R60 pre entry.
NB: Late entry kids under 18 pay the normal late entry fee
Late entries taken at a R30 extra fee.
Timing by Amarider Trail Tag – available for rent (R20) or to buy (R100).
Medal to all finishers! A refreshment station on both routes will have Powerade, fruit and Coke at the finish for all! Recovery massages available. Muratie wine, Sportsmans Warehouse vouchers and FALKE prizes for the winners are the top three male & females of each distance (timed only), as well as in the lucky draw. There will be coffee, drinks and snacks for sale.